[nagdu] Moving sidewalks

Doug Parisian eggmann at mymts.net
Tue Dec 10 16:13:24 UTC 2013

Well, I'm a little out of touch with anything recent regarding moving
sidewalks.  They have in fact been around since at least 1999 as I recall
and I have used them a couple of times with dogs, not on purpose.  Once on,
it's difficult to get off until the end at which point some recorded voice
does warn that the end is neigh (probably not exactly in those terms.)  As
has been said, unlike escalators, it is not as far as I know possible to get
things timed right to avoid injury to the dog.  I am physically capable of
lifting 70 pounds of dog with little effort and have good balance, so that
is what I did on those occasions.

More experiences makes a person smarter and more guarded, so after the first
two times, I specifically ask any airport assistant (that's where I met the
moving walks) not to have me use them.  I don't care whether they do or not,
but my dog ain't going there.

Warning!  Weirdness, again!  My dog boots was the globe traveller (well at
least around Canada and The US.)  Amazingly, she actually learned and
remembered both the Los Angeles and the Minnesota airport reasonably well.
One of our favourite games was to walk along side those machines and see if
we could beat a chosen victim who was in motion by virtue of the walk, and
also walking themselves.  We actually won a couple of "races" and Boots
seemed to enjoy the game.  My ground helpers were quite amused and
impressed.

Doug: There goes the streak