[nagdu] Intelligent disobedience

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Fri Feb 8 18:01:04 UTC 2013

Hm... I've been having some success explaining to people about how the
guide dog commands are actually suggestions and why that is necessary...
So then they seem more able to wrap their heads around "intelligent
disobedience" or "selective disobedience." I think I end up tossing up
semi-humorous lines like, "If she did what I tell her to do just because
I tell her to, I'd be in trouble," and such nonsense as that. /lol/ But
then the other person does seem to grasp that by refusing to do what I
just told her to do -- like go forward into a hole -- she is doing what
she is trained to do. So then it is all understandable and agreed that
Mitzi is a *good dog*! Whew!

I do like the notion of coming up with a better term for what she's
doing when she flatly refuses to run me into a brick wall or just takes
me around something I am sure is not there or something like that...
"Intelligent obedience" does carry better connotations and is more
descriptive of what is actually going on there. She *is* doing what I've
asked her to do by taking me in the direction I want to go even if she
chooses a different -- and safer! -- route. Or if she responds to
"forward" with "just wait a sec!" because of a quiet car of whatever.
Or, in the case of Mitzi, "no, you *really* don't want to go there!
Let's go way another way around." /lol/

The real concept I've been coming to in my thinking about the
relationship with my guide is that we are far more a team than a
hierarchy. We've grown into a two-way communication through the harness,
voice, and other little body language that I don't even notice any
more... Until for some silly reason I decide to be in charge and all,
thus ignoring communication coming my way. /lol/

Tami