[nagdu] clicker training

Ann Edie annedie at nycap.rr.com
Mon Feb 18 11:55:07 UTC 2013

Hi, Lora,

Clicker training provides a clearer method of communicating, and therefore,
training, your dog.  So it lets him/her know more precisely and clearly just
what behaviors you want him/her to perform, and which behaviors will earn
him/her rewards.  If you reward the dog for "pushing over you"--whatever
behaviors you mean by that term--then those are the behaviors you will get
more of.  But if you practice your timing of the "right answer signal" and
the timing of the delivery of the reward so that it is clear just which
behaviors you are rewarding, then you will get more of those desired
behaviors.  Clicker training is definitely not the same as not having
boundaries or "spoiling" the animal.

You're correct that clicker training frees the dog to try to discover what
you want him/her to do.  It removes the confusion and stress that comes from
the fact that what may seem like the same behavior to the dog, like
approaching the downcurb, sometimes results in praise and sometimes results
in a correction.  Because we can click precisely at the instant when the dog
stops at the curb without overrunning it--much more precisely than we can
say "Good" or any other words or deliver pats--the dog will know exactly
which of the many things he/she was doing around that time earned him/her
the reward.  Less confusion means less stress, which results in a happier
working dog and probably a longer working lifetime, not to mention a more
pleasant relationship between dog and handler.

Good for you for taking clicker training seriously, and for asking sincere
questions to further your understanding of the training method.

Best,
Ann