[nagdu] clicker training

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Mon Feb 18 22:33:34 UTC 2013

Julie,

You reminded me of some important points that will be good to remember
taking the spouse's monster tank puppy outside the yard for more leash
training, and maybe even a bit of guide training. She's been
clicker-trained since day one, of course, and gets that. But I found out
the other day that the excitement of stepping out of the gate is, um...
And here I thought she was growing a brain! I don't think it interfered
too much that I was talking at her ceaselessly, since getting her
attention wasn't happening. /lol/ She did respond to my clicks though as
she began to remember the boundaries we worked on last year... Once we
did the stop and stand routine for pulling a few times. After stopping
and moving backwards for pulling a few times. /lol/ I was beginning to
wonder if I would lose an arm before she remembered to remember to keep
it in bounds!

Now the icy wind is blowing again, so I am not inspired to do a follow
up with her. When I do, I will try to remember to focus on more
clicking, less talking. /grin/ I've noticed a few times that this works
well, but I still catch myself just talking up a storm to whichever dog
I'm going about with... Mitzi is unusually verbal so seems to pick up a
surprising amount from my chatter. The pup is bright and has picked up a
number of words of objects and commands, but she clearly does so in a
more dog-like fashion... So that's when I notice that there is a benefit
to using the click without all the verbiage, so long as I remember to
keep my mouth shut.

As a trainer, I find that I have a lot of fun and get a lot out of the
discovery of what will earn me the reward of the right behavior from my
dog. It really does go both ways.

Another thing you hit on when you referred to the clicker game, is that
it really does get to be a lot of fun for both of you, even as you move
into the more complex tasks. There will always be those periods of
frustration as you both refine your communication process, but the fun
overall goes a long way to keep me and my over-talked dogs going. /grin/

Tami