[nagdu] clicker training

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue Feb 19 14:06:12 UTC 2013

Ann and Tami,

Thank you!  I never know how detailed to get for the beginner.  I
remember how terribly inadequate I felt when I first started, mainly
because I was trying to use clicker the way sighted people do.  But
anyway, I don't want to overwhelm people, but at the same time I want
there to be enough info to provide a solid start.

Tami, I don't necessarily think talking is a bad thing.  I just find
that it doesn't work for me, at least not in the very first few sessions
teaching a new skill.  As the dog gets better with the skill and I move
into the random reinforcement phase I do definitely talk to the dog,
providing verbal coaching if needed.  Monty understands an amazing array
of words.  He still surprises me frequently with how much he understands.

Just a couple of days ago I was looking for one of this toys, a new
stuffed dog.  He usually doesn't get stuffed toys because he tears them
up so fast, but he loves them.  Every once in a while I give him one,
but check it frequently for tears. So I was looking for the toy and
couldn't find it.  I asked him, "where is your dog?"  He went and got it
out of his kennel and brought it to me.  I never taught him any of those
words.  He could have picked up from the context of me looking that I
wanted something, but how did he know which item?  Over the next couple
of days I would ask him at random times to bring me his dog, he did each
time. He has picked up a fair number of words in this way.

I do talk to him in full sentences a fair bit.  I'm not expecting any
specific results.  Mostly it's just me thinking out loud, but over the
years he has  figured out more than I ever anticipated he would.

Julie