[nagdu] Yoga Mountain vs parking meter

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Feb 22 15:07:53 UTC 2013

Tracy,

I'm not Tami, but I'm answering anyway. *smile*

I call this technique, "being a tree".  I do use it with young dogs who
are just learning self control and walking nicely on leash.  I wouldn't
say it's really a training technique.  I'd call it a management
technique.  It's more management of the situation and the trainers
frustration level, more than dog management.  With a young boisterous
dog who desperately wants to go visit another dog, I might stop and use
the tree technique just so the other person can pass unmolested and I
can continue to save the scrap of dignity I have left after my dog has
embarrassed me so badly.  *smile*

I don't think it's appropriate to use with a fully trained dog and
especially in a public situation.  There are more effective methods for
dealing with the problem of over excitement.  However I'd hope that by
the time a dog is at the level where it's working in public as a fully
trained guide dog that these instances would be few and far between.  I
expect this sort of behavior from a puppy or adolescent, but an adult
should have learned self control.

I use the tree technique when the situation at hand is greater than the
training level of the dog.  So if I am working with a dog to walk on a
loose leash with no distractions and the neighbors decide to let their
dog out to free run, that is going to be more than my dog is ready
for.   It's pretty hopeless to expect my dog to act appropriately in a
situation he has never been trained for and that is much beyond his
current learning level.

HTH
Julie