[nagdu] people who persist in petting

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Feb 25 12:52:33 UTC 2013

I rarely get drive by petters either.  Like Consuelo, I too get people
who think Monty is a police dog.  I work in the courthouse which also
houses the sheriff's department.  They have a drug sniffing dog, a lab I
think.  I can understand where they might think Monty is a police dog too.

I went to parent teacher conferences a couple of weeks ago.  There was a
little kid who didn't ask to pet and insisted that Monty was going to be
petted.  The kid would reach to pet, Monty would take a step back.  Then
the kid would step up and reach and Monty would take another step back.
This repeated three or four times until I finally told the kid "the dog
doesn't want to be petted.  that is why he keeps backing up."  Then the
kid says, "he's not like my dog."  I get this quite a bit and it always
leaves me scratching my head.  I'm not sure why anyone thinks all dogs
are just like theirs at home or that all dogs would enjoy the same things.

Usually I stop unwanted petting very quickly, but every now and then I
let it go to give Monty the practice of dealing with it.  I'm not always
able to tell so it's good for him to be able to deal on his own.

Julie