[nagdu] Clicker training

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Fri Jul 19 14:36:51 UTC 2013

Stephanie,

The reason to use both click and treat is to associate the sound with
the reward. A click is not inherently rewarding to a dog, so you add the
treat. The dog will quickly connect the two, so then the click means
reward. You continue to use treats to maintain that association. Some
trainers/handlers follow every click with a treat. Others taper off the
treat and give it sporadically to maintain the association.

The beauty of the click is that it happens when the desired behavior
happens. Then you have time to dig out the treat or to move it to where
the dog can have it, etc., etc. The dog knows that the reward is for
what it was doing when you clicked, not for something it did while you
were maneuvering the treat. So I guess you could say that the click is
the communication, while the treat is the reward.

Hope that makes some sense!

Tami