[nagdu] blazing trails with tails.

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Sun Jul 21 18:01:07 UTC 2013

Okay, I'll take a swing at this one.

First, there's not just one right way to go about learning a new area, and
different techniques work for different situations. I think that the most
important part is to carry a cane with you, even if you have a sighted
person helping you. What you do from there usually depends on what you are
trying to learn and what resources are available . For me, the three choices
are usually just use the dog and go for it, use the cane while leading the
dog on the leash, or go sighted guide with someone. When I went to college,
someone usually came to teach me the routes. However, this became less and
less frequent as classes were in buildings from previous quarters or a new
building was close enough to one that I already knew. Trying to learn the
routes on my own or ask people probably would not have worked very well as
people would probably have given directions for bikes and not really known
the names of places. This is one of the problems that I often encounter.
Although I know the name of my destination and surrounding places, sighted
people don't know the names, or they know them by other names. For example,
the classes were often listed by building number and room number. The
buildings had names as well as numbers, but these names were not listed on
the schedules. Most people either did not know the name or knew the name but
not the number. Finally, my exploring technique of taking out the GPS and
just going probably would not have worked as there were several bike/walking
paths that the GPS did not know were valid for that use, so a route would
end up being much longer than necessary if you asked the GPS. Once I learned
part of the campus, I would sometimes explore new places with dog and GPS. I
have also found it useful to have a compass on hand, which is a built in
feature of the iPhone, but a good old fashioned Braille one is nice as well.
Finally, if you are good at interpreting tactile maps, trying to get your
hands on a Braille map ahead of time can sometimes make things easier, but,
of course, this is not always an option, and, even if it is, maps are not
for everyone.
As for letting your dog lead the way, this has its pros and cons. JMHO, it
is the responsibility of the handler to know where you are, and, if you get
lost, it is not the fault of the dog. At my college campus, there were a lot
of wide paths with grass on either side and grass islands with rounded edges
in the middle. It was quite easy for a guide dog to follow the edge of one
of the gently turning islands and end up going the wrong direction. Also,
sometimes, your dog thinks that he/she knows the right way, but that is not
always true. Or, sometimes, you will be trying to go to one location, and
the dog thinks that you are trying to go somewhere else. That being said,
the dogs can be really good at finding their way, so it just depends.

Nicole