[nagdu] More on Advance Notification

National Association of Guide Dog Users blind411 at verizon.net
Thu Jul 25 12:05:46 UTC 2013

Larry,
	I am of the opinion that advance notification that one will be
accompanied by a service dog unnecessarily opens the door to discrimination.
The presence of the service dog is irrelevant; one cannot be denied a
benefit or be provided with an unequal or separate benefit because of the
presence of a service dog. The assertion that this is being done so the
company can send someone who doesn't mind a service dog in their cab is like
saying one should notify the company that they are African American so they
can send someone who doesn't mind black people in their vehicle.
	As long as service dog users continue to give advance notification
of the presence of their dog and present identification, those of us who
refuse to do so will continue to be questioned about why we did not when the
other did! If we are to make an impact on discriminatory practices, we need
to demand that the law be followed. It may be more convenient to one person
but it creates a major inconvenience for the next one!

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala