[nagdu] Visiting a Coffee Roaster

Ann Edie annedie at nycap.rr.com
Wed Jul 31 20:41:37 UTC 2013

Hi, Darla,

You shouldn't have any trouble gaining access at the coffee roaster.  Even
if they give tours of the facility, these days, due to security, safety,
and health concerns,  the general public/tourists are not given access to
the actual working space where the food product is being handled.  It's not
like walking through a kitchen where food is being prepared.  Probably
everything will be behind glass and such.  Actually, I think the greater
problem you will have is actually gaining access to the visual information
being shown while you are there.  Of course, there will be the wonderful
smells of roasting coffee and such, and hopefully they will give good verbal
descriptions of what others are taking in visually, and they may have
samples of the beans and coffee at various stages in the process that you
can handle--at least, that's what I would wish for if I were going on such a
trip.  But I wouldn't expect them to give you any trouble about entering
with your guide dog.  I might bring along my copy of the ADA requirements
for places of public accommodation, just in case they need a little
educating.  That should be sufficient.

Good luck.

Best,
Ann