[nagdu] Getting my first dog later in life

Carol Osmar osmarc at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 25 22:33:07 UTC 2013

Hello Cindy, I agree with what you are saying.  In the vast
majority of cases, the individual is not intentionally being
rude.

You asked why I am getting a dog at this point in my life.  I
will explain.

I have spent most of my adult life in the BEP Program.  When I
had a snack bar I could not justify having a dog lay behind the
counter for 9 to 10 hours a day.  When I took over a vending
route I felt it was easier using a cane climbing in and out of a
truck, pulling a cart and filling machines.  I know there are
blind venders that use dogs and I respect their choice.  But for
me, I felt a cane was the way to go.  Also, at the current time I
live in a rural area with no public transportation, so it is not
possible for me to travel independently with a dog from here.

Now that I am retired, My husband (who is sighted) and I are
selling our home in Michigan and moving to a large 55 and over
community in Florida.  There are many activities in a community
like this and my husband and I are looking forward to a  busy
lifestyle.  We enjoy doing many things together but there will be
times that I will want to do something he is not interested in
and I want the freedom to go places alone.  I could still do this
with a cane but I think I will be much more comfortable with a
dog.

I have RP, so there are several blind people in my family
including my parents and siblings.  I will be the first one to
use a dog.  Since this is not the norm for my family, it was a
difficult decision but I feel sure it is the right one for me.

I am looking forward to getting to know all of you.

Carol