[nagdu] Guide Dogs at Carnegie Hall

Shanna Stichler slstich at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 02:37:15 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

Firstly, I'm sorry I haven't been active on this list. I will try and
remedy that, but for now I have an access question for those of you who
know about such things.

I am scheduled to perform at Carnegie hall next year with a vocal
ensemble. I have performed at this venue previously, and at that time, I
was told before I arrived in New York that while my guide dog was
welcome to attend rehearsals and remain backstage, she would not be
permitted onstage during the performance or final dress rehearsal. The
tricky part is that the actual stage at Carnegie is not an area open to
the public, so possibly the production company is within their wrights
to refuse my dog access to that area. However, I'm involved in a program
their, and as I understand it, my dog gets access, even though the stage
isn't an area open to the public because all other participants in my
group will have stage access.

The first time I went there, I let this issue slide because to be
honest, I had a lot of other problems on my hands, and I didn't have the
energy for another drama in my life at that point. Also, my parents and
friends came to watch the performance, so I had someone willing to watch
my very easy to handle Labrador. Additionally, the stage was configured
in such a way that having a dog would have been very awkward for myself
and my little girl.

This time though, I'm more willing to advocate for my needs if I'm right
about how the ADA works.

My dog, Diamond, is very well-behaved when onstage with me during other
performances, including with the symphony and other fairly high-profile
groups in my area, so she wouldn't cause a disruption in any way.

I'd appreciate any thoughts you all might have about this issue.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Shanna