[nagdu] poodle ponderings

GARY STEEVES rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Thu Mar 28 17:58:29 UTC 2013

Hi Meghan:

I've had Bogart for several years now and the maintenance isn't too bad. Tamara's description is pretty on.  I brush Bogart about every second/third day. I'm not crazy about it but if I find him lying down relaxing and I'm relaxing I might just grab his slicker brush and/or metal comb and brush his head, legs and parts of his body showing. Usually get most of him and if done regularly we'll get all the bits and pieces.

At the school they talked about washing his eyes every day with a warm face cloth. Sounds great but I rarely did it. I just gently pull the hardened stuff from around his eyes (just like sleep in our eyes) This will probably gross everyone out but I let him eat it cuz he wants to. :)( It is a ritual that he is thankful for. I put my hand by his eye and say eyes and he holds still while I gently feel around. I have a bit of a poof on Bogart’s head and tail so find it is his head, ears and neck area that are most prone to tangles. I've made grooming him a bonding thing rather than a chore most of the time.

I get him groomed  every 6-8 weeks depending on the time of year but Bogart's hair grows slower than other poodles I've met. My girlfriend cuts his nails for me but if we're every 6 weeks getting them done at the groomers works well. (want to get my money's worth there!) I usually ask my groomers for a bit of a discount as he is a service dog. the best I've got is about 10% however, I've settled for $80 before taxes as a good price for a dog of Bogart's size.

Tamara is right about bringing nature home with them. We often have to put Bogart in the tub for a lower leg wash after the dog park since it's  not just dirt but smelly dirt he gets stuck around his legs. :)

As far as his work goes I find him very good however, he is my first guide dog so have no comparisons. Poodles can be a bit jumpy but they recover immediately which makes Bogart a very good city dog. He has a great memory of places we've been and is a great problem solver if given the time and patience. Poodles are verbal dogs which means Bogart is coming up with all kinds of moans and groans that mean this and that. However, my only complaint is his dog distractions. Tends to bark at dogs a fair bit. We're working on this though. I live a very busy life style and I find Bogart adapts very well. He has flown about 15 times in his almost 3 year s with me. He even came to London last summer for my work I was doing at the Paralympics and did an awesome job.

As you all can tell, I'm quite fond of my curly haired boy. If you have any specific questions you think I can help with email me on my personal address at g.steeves at shaw.ca since I'm rarely on this list these days.

Have fun.

Gary
g.steeves at shaw.ca