[nagdu] Class Date

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Wed May 8 19:32:47 UTC 2013

Hi Eve,
Hannah's right.  Many times mismatches occur like her example of her dog not
doing wwell as a college student's dog.  Sometimes, a dog seems like it
would work well in a particular envirnment but doesn't later after a heavy
dose of that environment.  The dog is fine except for not having the right
person to work for.

Here's what happened to me and a dog I had in the late 1990s.  At the time I
was living in a small town and things were fine for two and a half years.
After having her for a year, I had started spending alot of time back in San
Diego going to my blind center craft classes.  But I also began to spend
more time there riding the buses and hanging out with friends.  I began to
notice that this dog began to throw up on the Rural Bus going home.
Gradually, it was every time I spent time in San Diego that this puking bile
happened on our way home to where we lived.  I talked to the school and they
suggested me keeping track when and what we were doing when the puking
happened.  the dog was fine in private cars.

I had worked this dog in NYC during training and she was fine.  I worked
this dog in San Diego when we just went down there to class and then back
home again and not hanging out and riding city buses.  In 1999, I was
planning on relocating in San Diego again because there was talk of getting
rid of the Rural Bus and we'd be stranded in town with nothing to do and no
access to San diego unless a family member was going down to the trolley
stop down the hill.

I had the dog checked out to be sure there was nothing medical going on with
her and there wasn't.  So, my school and I determined that the throwing up
was due to stress the dog could no longer handle and I would have to come
back for another dog who was more of a city dog.  the dog was 4 when I went
back to the school and I brought her with me.  they thought they might be
able to match her with someone with a calmer, more rural owner where she
could not have to ride buses.

When I brought the dog back, they evaluated her and decided to retire her as
a pet because they didn't want to put out a dog again that had a history of
car-sickness - even though the dog was fine in regular cars.  So, she was
dropped out of the program and adopted out to a pet home where i hope she
was a great pet for a family.  This dog was a good worker, too.  I then got
a new dog in the fall of 1999 and he was great and LOVED the city and buses
and trolleys!  We went throough two moves - once to San Diego and two months
later, we moved into a better apartment.  This was Jacob and he just took
everything in stride and worked until 2007 at 9 and 1/2 when I went to get
Landon.  Jacob was retired to a friend here and lived to be almost 15 and
died last December.

Anyway, this kind of thing happens more than most people realize.  After all
we are dealing with real, living creatures.  I think the instructors do an
awesome job of matching dogs to humans.  This is why it's so important to
give as much detail to your life as possoble so the trainers can give you
the best match they can for you.

Landon's been great for me but now, at 7 1/2 and my walking faster after
foot surgery, he is really too slow for me but I'll see if I can work him
for another year or two.

Lyn and Landon
"Asking who's the man and who's the woman in an LGBT relationship is like
asking which chopstick is the fork" - Unknown