[nagdu] what do you consider an attack?

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Thu May 9 18:31:23 UTC 2013

Julie,

Interesting questions! Hm... I would consider an attack to be genuine
aggression that resulted in significant physical interference or injury.
So far, we've only had that from a couple of min pins (motto: death to
all poodles!) who were leashed and just obnoxious at the end of the
leash. And a chihuahua or two. The result is that Mitzi will still react
when startled to small, fluffy bouncy dogs in places where they may or
may not be service dogs... Of course, once she vocalizes, then I need to
deal with her so can't worry about whether the other dog is legit if not
as strictly handled as the poodle monster would like. Sigh. I know it's
just her schooling snark, but she can't be doing that in public, so she
must settle down. In some cases, I do have opportunity to notice that
just because the other dog is on a leash does not mean it is under
control! Fortunately, we do not run across this often, and it's only
when we've all been super stressed that Mitzi has her issues and talks
about them.

I think because I like to hang around dogs and because we've spent a lot
of time around other dogs, I generally can get a feel for an approaching
dog, and I trust what Mitzi tells me. So minor greeting interference
isn't terribly upsetting for either of us. I listen for the human, too,
if a dog is vocalizing. You can get a better indicator of what a dog
might do from its human sometimes. So I know a lot of the Portland crowd
throw fits over all the dogs of the homeless on the streets, seeming to
assume all to be vicious. However, the few times we have passed such
when the dog was making scary noises, I could hear a human calming the
dog and controlling it so had no fear. When the human reacts
aggressively towards the dog or there is no human reacting to a possibly
threatening dog, then I feel some worry! Even so, I just take a deep
breath and encourage Mitzi to keep moving, so there we go. So far, so
good. I think with dogs that have caused concern and cause Mitzi to
dance a little extra, I just rely on my alpha B thing as I do with iffy
humans. The Look is useful in many situations. And because I've spent so
much time in dog parks around many types of dogs, Mitzi speaks the
languages of many breeds and knows The Look herself. She's not the super
dominant type of alpha B, but she does have a way of ruling without
necessarily appearing to. /smile/

Anyway, don't know if that really answers. I think you're right that for
a guide dog user who can't see the body language behind surface behavior
and vocalizations, and knowing the possibility of dog attack and what it
could mean for one's guide even if it's relatively minor... Well, it's
extra scary! I would also think an individual's reaction would depend a
lot on local dog culture... In my stomping grounds, it's a pretty good
bet dogs are well-socialized and responsibly handled. The ones I need to
worry about are the exceptions. So I can stay calmer, which is a good
way to keep anything from escalating, because of statistics. In other
areas, it is probably a better bet that a random dog deserves concern...
I've been in a few of those areas and have to work harder at staying
calm and transferring that to my dog. So if I lived where I regularly
traveled those sorts of scary dog zones, I would probably be a basket case!

Tami