[nagdu] Guide Dog Schools

Leye-Shprintse Öberg leyeshprintse at ymail.com
Fri Nov 1 09:21:32 UTC 2013

BS"D

Shickeytha,

I can't give any advice on the schools since I don't live in the U.S. Anyhow, where I live first time guide dog handlers resive their training at 'campus'and at home. Nowadays, second (and so on) time guide dog handlers only get their training at home. Since I'm a first time handler, I went through the first alternative. The good things of going away from home are that you can concentrate on building the partnership with the dog, you don't need to think about something else. The surroundings are (often) new for your both, and that means that you need to learn to trust the dog. You also get to meet other persons who are going through the same feelings as yourself; it's a big change to become a guide dog handler even if you've had dogs before. The positive things with home training are that you don't need to pause your life, the dog get settled directlywith the family, friends and routines it'll have at home. You can get help by the guide dog instructor with things you didn't thought of at class; and therefore more specific advice. A thing I like with many American guide dog schools is that the handlers are learning to use their dogs in different surroundings even if they mihht not have it at home. It must give a feeling of security if they may work in these surroundings later on.

When it comes to breed, sex and color, many schools ask what youre preferring. Personally, I would love to have a Golden but I would never request it. For me, the personality of the dogs are most important therefore I give the trainers free hands, the only thing I requested was a smaller dog then the personality was chosen after which personality I've myself, which lifestyle I had at the moment and which I planned to have in the future. I ended up with a black female Labrador Retriever; I never thought I would become a Labb girl but here I am. :) I wouldn't change my crazy little girl for anything! When she bounced into my room I thought: "How'll I manage this!?!", but now nearly two years later I can say that they chose the perfect dog for me!

I wish you good luck with your decisions!

Lesholom,
Leye-Shprintse <3