[nagdu] Adding water to food.

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Sat Nov 9 21:51:27 UTC 2013

When I was at GDB and for a few years after returning  home, I used to add
water to the dog food, but that was when I was not using as high quality of
the food. I used warm or even hot water because it absorbs faster. Cold or
room temperature water will work, but it will take longer. For it to have
any effect, it actually has to get absorbed into the food. Even with the
warm or hot water, it takes a few minutes, and, yes, the food does expand
quite a bit. Lexia now eats Blue Buffalo for breakfast and dinner and the
Science Diet dental food for her lunch. I do not add water to either one,
and things seem to work fine. I do make sure that she has water available.
Not having to add water also makes things a little easier if you have to
feed your dog in public or while riding some sort of transportation.

	At home, I leave water out for Lexia, but she tends to drink mainly
when I change it, after coming in from doing her business, after a meal, or
after coming in from work. I generally monitor how much she drinks because
she has drank too much before and had an accident in the house. I would take
her out if she was doing something to indicate that she needed to go;
however, it seems that she does not realize that she has to go, and it just
comes out. Then she is like, "oh, where did this wet spot on my blanket come
from?". At work, I only give her water certain times of the day. Also, she
seems to drink more immediately after she comes in from doing her business
than if I have her wait a little while before drinking.