[nagdu] Dog attachment

Brandydp brandydp at verizon.net
Fri Nov 15 00:58:11 UTC 2013

Hi Daniel,
I have a suggestion. Don't take it to the grave... Lol. Sometimes the more I try to distance my dogs from a person. The more they are enammered. This was especially true for my poodle. My mom went out of her way to ignore him because when I was younger a dog didn't work out and my parents blamed the attention they gave her. I am a very no one touch my dog in or out of harness type person. I was very strict with my yellow lab and all was fine. She was a good girl scout dog. I noticed though that after I had her for a while and started letting people interact with her the less time she spent trying to get to them. Pinta is very friendly and excitable. I kept people away from her for the first few weeks. My boyfriend can't help interacting with the dog though not to a horrible extent. Pinta behaves perfectly well in harness around him so much so that one time we were passing each other in our neighborhood and he said hi, love, hey hi. I'm such a fast walker and was so focused I thought he was a weirdo then realized it was him... Previously my dogs would run up to who ever. My mom has come to visit for a couple months and she was going to ignore pinta. Though I'm not letting her over do it I let her say good morning and throw the toy once or twice. I have a co-worker that also can't control himself and would just stare at the dog.. Pinta used to turn and look at him when we were walking even if he ignored her. He came to my house where I let him pet her a little and throw her toy. Wala no more looking behind her at him. This also teaches her that though she knows someone she must listen. For instance, me preventing her from being played with isn't as affective as me and someone else playing with her and me giving her a command and her doing it. Maybe try keeping your dog in a sit or down while he pets him and just make it nonchalant. Another example is my poodle used to stalk my cat. I did the whole keep him on a leash, correct him blah blah. The trainer said your doing all the right guide dog things but forget all that. Let him go, act like a family. And though it never disappeared it got better. So maybe some interaction is better than none. Of course don't let him be out of control but...

brandy pinder
Alumni Council -  second vice Chairman
Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind, Inc®
and America's VetDogs®, The Veteran's K-9 Corps Inc®
Providing "Second uSight"® since 1946

371 E. Jericho Turnpike smith town ny 11766
Cso: 866-282-8047
Email: brandydp at verizon.net
Cell: 304-685-4499