[nagdu] Service dog scams putting people 'at risk'

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Tue Nov 19 20:18:14 UTC 2013

Rebecca,

I agree! For years, my first question regarding the ID/certification
issue is, "who pays?" It's going to cost money, and someone is going to
have to pay it. Then I started catching the calls for the programs --
especially one or two -- to be the ones to graciously step in and create
the standards and the program. Ah... The other side of the question of
who will pay for it is who will get paid.

So here is how it has started to stack up for me:

1. Currently, the training programs provide their own certification,
since there are no standards and requirements. The certification they
give themselves is no more or less than a fundraising tool.

2. A standardized certification requirement would affect these
organizations, as well as owner-trainers. Moreso, in fact. I only have
one dog to take to be tested, only one fee to pay, and so on. Having to
have all of their dogs tested before issuing them to work would get
expensive fast for any of the training programs. It's possible --
perhaps even likely -- that this would put some of the smaller programs
out of business.

3. If one of these fundraising organizations was given the contract to
administer the testing and certification, that would be great for the
company balance sheet! They wouldn't be able to put out more dogs and
would probably end up still producing fewer working dogs as a result of
the certification requirement. But the company would look great on paper!

4. Looking great on paper and having the cachet of being in charge of
certification of all service dogs nationwide would come in real handy as
part of the fundraising spiel. It seems to me it would give some
advantage in the competition for new donors in a difficult economic climate.

5. It has also occurred to me that the organization that can claim the
highest percentage of dogs passing with the highest marks would also
have a fundraising advantage. What are the odds that by happy
coincidence this will turn out to be the same organization in charge of
standards and testing? Depends on the integrity of the organization and
individual testers, I think. Given the amounts of money that will
inevitably be involved, however, I also think that that likelihood is
something to consider.

So, yes, I think now that the most important question is not who pays
but who will benefit. Service dog users? The "service dog industry" as a
whole? Or the yet-to-be-created industry of testing service dogs?

I do understand why the idea of standards and testing and
certification/identification are attractive to so many, especially those
who are accustomed to having an ID from a training program saying their
dog is certified. It's considering the implementation of any system to
put that idea into practice that makes me almost certain it would cause
far more problems than it would solve.

Of course, others will disagree with good reasons, too. /smile/

Tami