[nagdu] walking guide dogs?

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Wed Nov 20 00:15:40 UTC 2013

Gary,

I've heard that just walking your dog on leash will ruin everything,
especially if you let it sniff! I've heard a lot of other stuff, too,
that I ignored on accounta the people telling me this were clearly daft.
/lol/

Training Mitzi meant a lot of months doing nothing but loose leash work,
some in the training sense and some for leisure and to get to the park
to let her run off all her wild energy. So when I started in-harness
training with her, we still did other stuff on leash, including sniff 'n
stroll. Would you believe a dog can tell the difference between when
it's wearing a harness and when it's not? Shocking! /lol/

With her poodly temperament, I do a lot of the same things you describe
because giving her a break to sniff and relax helps her keep better
mental balance in her work. It can also be relaxing for me, so it works
out. Even now that we have a nice big yard, and I don't need to take her
out to relieve, I do like to do "buddy walks" with her sometimes around
the neighborhood. We both enjoy it. Sometimes I will do a long working
walk, then use the cane coming back, or part way back. It just varies.

With Mitzi, giving her a chance to sniff sometimes actually seems to
reduce her sniffiness in harness. She seems to need to get it out of her
system, then she's good to go. Other dogs may be more prone to sniffing
in harness if they're allowed to sniff on leash, but that is not the
case with mine. /smile/

Tami