[nagdu] Anal Glands Re: (no subject)

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 19:35:32 UTC 2013

Hi,
The Golden Guy has to get his anal glands expressed every two months.
I have done this myself a few times, and never smelled anything foul,
so I have not experienced the odor everyone talks about.
When I expressed them, I did not express the glands from the outside,
if you know what I mean. I just used rubber gloves, vaseline, and some
paper towels to catch the stuff.
Just know that you absolutely must have the glands expressed if this
is an issue in your dog because an infection will occur if you let the
problem go unsolved. Signs that your dog's glands need to be expressed
are: scooting the butt on the carpet and insistent licking of or
around that area. If you notice bumps, especially discolored ones, on
the outside of the dog's anus, it is likely an infection.

This week, I switched my golden to a raw meaty bone diet to try to get
rid of the anal gland issue, along with some other minor problems.
Sources say that feeding a raw diet helps express the anal glands
because dogs have to strain more to defecate. Digesting raw meaty
bones makes firmer stool that create pressure on the glands during a
bowel movement.
I just got the Golden Guy's expressed this month, so I'll see if this
diet helps any. Even if it doesn't, it's still worth feeding my dog a
more wholesome diet.

On 11/28/13, Tami Jarvis <tami at poodlemutt.com> wrote:
> Bobette,
>
> I've never had issues with my dogs, but did do some pressure relieving
> of her anal glands a couple of times just to say I had done it. Then I
> made sure my groomers do it. /lol/
>
> To relieve pressure, you can use a warm compress, with some Epsom salts
> if you have them. You can use warm, damp paper towels, which can be
> thrown away, or a warm, damp cloth. What comes out is oily and smelly,
> so I would recommend two or three paper towels stacked and folded in
> quarters. Place them over the glands for a moment, then apply light
> pressure to bring out some of the fluid to make the dog more comfortable.
>
> Do you know where the glands are? If you don't, I will go feel my
> sister's male dog to find out.
>
> If the glands are a problem, having a vet express the anal glands if you
> can is the way to go. But you can make your dog more comfortable in the
> meantime.
>
> hth
>
> Tami
>
> On 11/28/2013 09:58 AM, bobetteandflint wrote:
>>
>> Anyone have a dog with annal gland issues? I AM desperate for an answer
>>
>> Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone
>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/tami%40poodlemutt.com

Raven