[nagdu] Teaching Dog to Spend on Concrete

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Sep 4 12:21:57 UTC 2013

4 is not really so old.
The only way I know to teach a dog to go on concrete is to offer it as the
only option.  Choose a place where there is only concrete around.  If you
don't have such a place, you insist that the dog stay on the concrete and
not hop up onto the grass, which is a bit harder to do.
I started by relieving Ben in a parking lot.  Later, we moved to a curb by
the sidewalk.  I just kept putting him back in the gutter, and the sidewalk
wasn't that enticing, anyway.  Now, he will pee on the curb, even if there's
grass right by it.  He's a man-dog who likes to pee on something, so he
likes the curb.
The dog may not go for a while when you start, but you have to be strong and
not give in.  Echo went 24 hours once, refusing to go in the City, but she
eventually adjusted her ideas and was fine.
To me, it's well worth the trouble to have a dog who will relieve anywhere
without having to hunt for grass.
HTH.
Tracy