[nagdu] Changing my Petting Policy

Craig Heaps craig.heaps at comcast.net
Wed Apr 30 02:43:33 UTC 2014

Well, I guess if there's anything I've gotten from this discussion it's that
we're all different.

I had a guy ask me today at the grocery store if he could pet Chase.  I
said, almost reflexively, "Please don't."  I know it was from reading all
these replies.  It had made me hyper-aware.  I usually say, " I would rather
you didn't.  It distracts him while he's working, and that's dangerous for
both of us."  But sometimes I say okay.  It really doesn't seem to make much
difference as far as Chase's behavior.  I like to let children pet him.
He's very sweet and gentle, and it's a good dog expreience for the kids.  If
they're old enough, I try to educate them about asking and why it's
important.  I always make Chase sit to be petted.

I don't mind if they ask his name.  It's usually the beginning of a nice
discussion about guide dogs.  I get to promote the wonderful people at GDB
who gave me Chase.  I get to talk to a lot of people who were or who know
puppy raisers.

Becasue I have some useable vision, I can see the sneaky petters.  Sometimes
I call them on it, sometimes I don't.

I think a lot of my mellowness is probably because I've had Chase less than
a year and it's still new for me.

Craig and Chase (who doesn't really have another name.)