[nagdu] Tea Tree Oil

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Mon Aug 11 16:45:34 UTC 2014

I sent this to someone who responded to the original message, but thought it
might clarify some points so decided to sent it to the list as well.  Delete
or read as you please.  Smile.

Becky

I think many vets are open to natural solutions.  But they also see the
results of abuse or misuse of natural products.  Also, natural does not
always mean safe.  Here's an article on tea tree oil.  I found information
on cedar and other oils for flea prevention but again, the more information
we have as to proper use and potential problems, the better.

Is Tea Tree Oil Safe for Pets?

petMD

by Dr. Ken Tudor

Tea tree oil, or Australian tree tea oil, has become a popular alternative
treatment for many skin conditions affecting humans. Its popularity has
resulted in some veterinary skin care products that contain small amounts of
tea tree oil. In small concentrations (.1% to 1%), tea tree oil is tolerated
and safe for cats and dogs.

Unfortunately, the oil's popularity has resulted in larger numbers of
households with bottles of 100 percent tree tea oil, and accidental
ingestion or improper dilutions of this highly concentrated oil can be
harmful to pets.

What is Tea Tree Oil?

Tea tree oil is extracted from the leaves of a tree native to Australia that
is similar to the myrtle tree. The tree has been introduced to America and
is grown in the southern states, particularly Florida. The clear to pale
yellow oil has a camphor-like smell and has bactericidal and fungicidal
properties.

It is used topically to treat acne, boils, burns and insect bites in humans
and pets.

It is also used for treating athlete's foot, gingivitis, impetigo,
tonsillitis, and vaginal infections in humans. It is sometimes added to
vaporizers to treat respiratory infections. The oil can also be found in
soaps, toothpaste, lotions, and skin creams.

Tea tree oil is toxic, to both humans and pets, if taken orally. In
Australia 100 percent tree tea oil is categorized as a schedule 6 toxin.

Packaging there requires child-proof containers and cautionary labeling.

Such packaging and labeling are not necessary in the U.S. and Canada.  A 10
year long veterinary study of tea tree oil toxicity in pets found that 89
percent of owners who used 100 percent oil assumed that it was safe. The
researches felt that the lack of labeling was a major reason for the feeling
of safety on the part of American pet owners.

Tea Tree Oil Toxicity for Pets

Tea tree oil contains various types of chemicals called terpenes. These are
the chemicals that make the oil effective against bacteria and fungi. They
are also the toxic agent.

Terpenes are rapidly absorbed into the body whether taken orally or on the
skin.

This means topical application of concentrated oil can result in the same
toxicity as accidental oral ingestion. Given the tendency of pets to groom,
especially cats, the toxicity risk of topical applications is amplified.

Symptoms of toxicity vary depending on the dose of terpenes ingested. Minor
symptoms like drooling or vomiting may be found with mild doses of oil.

Animals with moderate illness may appear weak, have difficulty walking, or
seem partially paralyzed. Severely ill animals have life-threating symptoms
like tremors, seizures, greatly reduced level of consciousness, or coma.

Symptoms follow 2 to 12 hours after exposure.

Treatment for Tea Tree Oil Toxicity in Pets There is no antidote for
terpenes. Treatment is based on the level of toxicity. Mild illness may only
require skin decontamination with dish soap bathing. Inducing vomiting is
not recommended. The neurological effects of the terpenes, as well as the
thick quality of the oil, increase the risk of aspiration pneumonia if
vomiting is induced.

The effectiveness of orally administered activated charcoal in binding
terpenes after oral ingestion of tea tree oil is unknown. Vomiting control
with medications is necessary before administering activated charcoal.

Activated charcoal should not be given to pets with severe symptoms due to
the risk of aspiration of the charcoal liquid.

Skin decontamination and support therapy with intravenous fluids is the
standard treatment. Vomiting, muscle tremors, and seizures are treated with
medications as needed. Treatment may be necessary for up to 72 hours after
exposure. Terpenes are toxic to the liver so the use of liver protectants
like SAM-e and silymarin (milk

thistle) for two weeks is also recommended.

Prevention of Tea Tree Oil Poisoning in Pets Although tea tree oil is
effective in treating certain skin conditions in pets, it has not been
proven to be superior to other traditional medications. In fact, the
concentrations of tea tree oil suggested for many skin problems far exceed
the concentrations found in most pet products (.1%-1%). The attraction of
using a natural product as opposed to a man-made synthetic treatment may not
be worth the risk. The use of dilutions of 100 percent tea tree oil should
be avoided in pets. It is too easy to miscalculate the amount of oil to use.

Finally, oil should be safely stored away from pet access, especially the
ingenious, inquisitive cat.

Dr. Ken Tudor

I found this while browsing around and pass it on.  I think all of us would
be happier if our dogs and cats could be protected without the use of
chemicals.  We each make our own choices.  All we can do is stay as informed
as we can about risks and benefits of the options available , whether it's

for prevention or treatment.

If only we could keep our dogs safe forever.

Rebecca and Eagle

Two questions:

Q: Can you tell me about using brewer's yeast to get rid of the fleas?

Q:

I have the new cure to prevent fleas! I've learned that using tea tree oil
will

solve the problem, and it's much safer and less expensive than many other
products.

An answer to both:

A: Dr. Michael Dryden, a veterinary parasitologist at Kansas State
University College

of Veterinary Medicine-Manhattan, says, "Using brewer's yeast is totally
illogical

because brewer's yeast is used in labs to grow fleas."

As for tea tree oils, now commonly touted online as flea busters, be very
cautious.

According to a recent report published in the Journal of the American
Veterinary

Medical Association, tea tree oils are toxic to pets. Even if enough fleas
are destroyed

to prevent infestation (which remains uncertain), the product can make pets
very

ill.

Dryden notes that fleas do transmit disease, and obviously no one wants the
blood

suckers in their homes.

"To avoid expensive exterminators, ask your veterinarian about the right
product

or combination of products to use," he says.

Steve Dale welcomes questions/comments from readers. Although he can't
answer all

of them individually, he'll answer those of general interest in his column
Send e-mail

to PETWORLD(at)STEVE DALE.TV. Include your name, city and state. Steve's
website

is www.stevedalepetworld.com <http://www.stevedalepetworld.com> ; he also
hosts the nationally syndicated "Steve Dale's

Pet World" and "The Pet Minute." He's also a contributing editor to USA
Weekend.

It came to me that every time I lose a dog, they take a piece of my heart
with them.  And every new dog that comes into my life, gifts me with a piece
of their heart.  If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will
be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.

Unknown