[nagdu] My introduction

L Gwizdak leg1950 at cox.net
Wed Aug 20 21:45:52 UTC 2014

Welcome Lisa!  You'll have to tell us about your application process at the
German school.  Did you know that it was a German guide dog school that was
the inspiration for the future Seeing Eye that is in New Jersey, USA!  I
don't know the name but they were training WWI blinded vets with guide dogs.
Dorothy Harrison Eustis wrote an article in an American magazine, The
Saturday Evening Post about the German school back in the 1920s.  A young
blind man, Morris Frank, wanted her to train him with a dog and he traveled
to Switzerland and came back with the USA's first guide dog! He and Eustis
started The Seeing Eye, Inc in 1929.

Curious how your health insurance pays for your training.  What does the
school charge?  Here, we pay very little or the dog is free depending on
what school you go to.  How did they already know exactly what dog you were
getting before you go to the school?

I'm Lyn, a 63 year old man living in San Diego, California.  I use Seeing
Eye dogs from Morristown, NJ.  I just retired my last dog in May.  He is a
Lab/Golden retriever cross and he is now a facility dog for a senior
assisted-living place in my area.  His name is Landon.  I am awaiting a
suitable match at Seeing Eye for, hopefully, the Sept. class.  I've worked
guide dogs since 1973.  Again welcome and hope you enjoy the list!  I'm not
on much but there is good discussion here! There's alot of years worth of
experience here as well.

Lyn and no dog yet
"Asking who's the man and who's the woman in an LGBT relationship is like
asking which chopstick is the fork" - Unknown