[nagdu] How does your dog help you?

debby phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 00:28:20 UTC 2014

When I was a young girl, maybe 14, I had a mobility instructor
who worked and worked with me to help me to learn to cross
streets without veering.  (It didn't work real well).  Lol.  He
finally said, "You know, I don't often do this, but I think that
you would be a good candidate for a dog, and I think if you
choose to do that, you should go to Seeing Eye." That was
probably 1968 or 1969.  I didn't go until 1981, but I've never
regretted going.  No, I can't say that I never have trouble with
street crossings, especially with a new dog, but I have gone
places and done things that I never would have done without my
dogs.  I sometimes did it for them, to give them more of a
challenge, but it always was great for me, too.  Then in November
of 2012, I went to the Colorado Center for the Blind.  My cane
skills improved tremendously, and so did my confidence in myself.
But when push came to shove, I realized that I wanted to travel
with a dog again.  I don't want to deal with all the
environmental stuff, like mailboxes, trash cans, etc.  And I feel
less vulnerable, and more confident, less afraid of getting lost
when I have a dog with me.  Maybe because she's there, and is
another being.  Maybe because she can compensate for some of my
weaknesses.  What I offer her is love, consistency, discipline,
companionship, and a job to do.  Sunday we will have been home a
month together and I am daily falling more and more under Neena's
spell.  (Grin).  I love this crazy impetuous, impulsive gentle
dog.    Peace,    Debby and Miss Neena