[nagdu] Fear of Dogs

Danielle Burton danielleburton94 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 14:37:21 UTC 2014

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 5, 2014, at 6:32 PM, Dudley Hanks via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>
> Well, apparently, the driver who refused Mich access to his cab has been
> fired.
>
> I count that as one small victory.
>
> In spite of his being fired, I'll still be recommending that charges be laid
> by the police.
>
> In a way, I'm sad he lost his job;  with a hefty fine, he might have been a
> more considerate driver after this experience.
>
> But, then I ask myself, "How sad do these guys feel when they leave us
> standing by the curb?"
>
> Perhaps, as word spreads that blind people can find ways to hold drivers
> accountable, maybe we'll get one step closer to equality.
>
> Take Care,
> Dudley, with Michener

Dudley,  that is a wonderful story. I have a couple good friends are have a fear of dogs. One of my friends has finally got the urge to pet my dog and was surprised at how soft she was. Another one of my friends is slowly getting comfortable being around my dog. She is glad I have my dog to help me but is trying to overcome her fear. I told her if there was anything I can do to make it easier to just let me know. She tells me she would love to pet my dog but cannot muster the courage to do so. If she does it will be one exception I will make about petting my dog in harness. And those exceptions are very rare. My friend will walk with me and Willa while Willa is guiding but will not get too close to her which is fine. I am so thankful that my dog is helping her overcome her fear of dogs and has helped my other friend be more comfortable around dogs. My grandmother is not crazy about dogs in general but adores my guide.