[nagdu] Blind Vet has guide dog banned from hospital

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Sun Dec 14 03:54:40 UTC 2014

Blind Vet's Guide Dog Banned From VA Hospital
Posted By
David-Elijah Nahmod
@DavidElijahN
 on Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Matthew Easton's dog Chestnut isn't just his buddy — he's his eyesight.

Easton, an Air Force veteran who served from 2001-2005, lost most of his
vision due to an eye disease. Chestnut is Easton's guide dog. With his
faithful
companion by his side, Easton is able to get around his neighborhood in San
Luis Obispo. Chestnut also guides Easton from Central California to the VA
Hospital in San Francisco's Outer Richmond District, where he receives
medical treatment for his eyes.

But recently, the VA Hospital delivered some not-so-welcoming news, telling
Easton that he could no longer bring Chestnut into the eye exam room at the
hospital.

"I was told by the Patient Advocate Office as well as the eye clinic that
the only option was to have a family member or a friend watch my dog for me
during
my exam," Easton told SF Weekly. "I was told if that wan't an option that I
was to call Animal Control and have them take my guide dog to the shelter at
my own expense just for the short duration of my appointment."
Easton says that he was advised to "leave his dog in the car."

Obvious questions arose, such as: leave Chestnut in what car? A blind person
can't legally drive. As a person who lives on disability insurance Easton
can hardly afford boarding fees. And besides, how would Easton get from the
pound—which is in the Mission—to the VA Hospital in the Outer Richmond
without
his guide dog?

"I depend on the VA for treatment," Easton said. "Putting my dog in a
shelter is ridiculous. It's dangerous for me as well as my dog."

According to Easton, the hospital claims that the exam room is a "sterile
area."

"This is false," Easton claims. "Gown and scrub down procedures are not
taking place in the exam rooms."  He also reports incidents of food in the
exam
rooms.

SF Weekly reached out to Judi Cheary, Director of Public Affairs for the VA
Hospital, who said the VA would handle the matter. "We will be looking into
his specific concerns regarding the eye clinic," Cheary replied. "Also our
overall process for accommodating service animals in our medical center. We
will be reaching out to Matthew to get his feedback and input."

Bryan Bashin, Executive Director of the San Francisco chapter of the
Lighthouse for the Blind, was pretty upset after hearing about Easton's
situation,
calling it "discriminatory."

"The Lighthouse For the Blind is dismayed that the Veteran's Administration,
of all agencies, chose to discriminate against a blind person who uses a
guide
dog," Bashin told SF Weekly. "The local Veteran's Administration leadership
should know that guide dogs are legally allowed in all places of public
accommodations,
which includes public spaces, hallways, and waiting rooms where members of
the general public are allowed."

Apparently, the VA Hospital is exempt from the Americans With Disabilities
Act.

"Because we are a federal government facility, access to VA is governed by
the Rehabilitation Act," Cheary said. "ADA does not govern access or
admission
to VA facilities or property."

She added: "We apologize for Matthew not being allowed to keep his service
animal with him in the exam room. This is not the type of experience we want
our veterans to have."

As our story was being filed, Easton called us with great news. "I just got
done on the phone and the VA Hospital is changing their policy," Easton
said.
"They were cooperative and listened. So excited!"

Cheary confirmed that the hospital had indeed altered its policy.