[nagdu] guide dog schools

Star Gazer pickrellrebecca at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 13:51:00 UTC 2014

Hi Rachael.
I've worked two dogs, and am no longer using a dog.
The thing to realize with a guide dog is that the world will expect you and
the dog to be a fully functional team when you get home. People pay lip
service to "giving you two time to settle in" but very few really understand
what that means.
I am not kidding when I tell you that having a baby is a lot easier, I think
in large part because society as a rule is familiar with babies. Plus, you
don't need or want or are expected to have a baby act as a fully functional
partner.
I say this because the same is true for a pet, nobody expects a pet to be a
fully functional partner.
As for relieving, it's like wiping your own butt, and until you and your dog
get in synch, it's like potty training a child. You two need to figure out
each other's signals, you need to show the dog where you'd like it to go
potty, and you need to provide opportunities for this to happen. Accidents
can and do happen while you're getting all this figured out.