[nagdu] Sad news regarding Sophie

Shanna Stichler slstich at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 00:15:25 UTC 2014

Hi Alyssa,

First, I'm sorry to hear that Sophie did not work out for you. It's so
hard when we bring home a new dog, and they clearly don't want to work
for whatever reason. I'd recommend having a very open and honest
discussion with someone at LD when they come pick up your Sophie about
exactly what happened with her and the reason behavior like that was not
seen in training. That conversation may be helpful for you when deciding
what to do for your next guide. If they seem annoyed and/or unwilling to
discuss Sophie with you, my advice would be to apply elsewhere for your
successor dog.

That said, GDB can definitely give you a dog that meets your needs. My
last GDB dog was truly the best dog I could have ever wanted. She could
work all day in any environment, but was also quite content to cuddle on
the couch while I read or worked from home. The only reason I didn't get
my current dog from GDB is that they do not use German Shepherds, which
I really wanted for a number of reasons.

Incidentally, I used to work at GDB in their Training department, so
feel free to write me if you have any specific questions about their
programs, and I'll try and help as much as I can.

Warmly,
Shanna Stichler
slstich at gmail.com

On 1/25/2014 3:38 PM, Nicole Torcolini wrote:
> I, too, would recommend GDB. I'm not the best one to ask about the actual
> classes as I attended about six in a half years ago, but I can answer
> questions about most other aspects. At the time that I attended, I had had a
> pet dog and known several people who had guide dogs, but I had not had a
> guide dog myself. I had some preferences in what I wanted for a dog, but I
> left the final decision up to GDB. They not only found a dog that matched
> all of my preferences but they also found one who, in my books, is about as
> close to perfect as you are going to get.

All best,
Shanna Stichler