[nagdu] ~Moving away from correction collar

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 17:34:50 UTC 2014

Daryl,
I use a buckle collar for the Golden Guy; it buckles like a belt.
They're very easy to find at any place that sells pet supplies. I
eschew places like Pet Smart, but that's where I purchased it.
There are quick-release collars as well that snap together with male
and female clips. A girlfriend of mine uses those kinds of collars for
working her labby girl.
It is still possible to give a leash correction with any collar. A
leash correction doesn't necessarily involve tightening pressure
around a dog's neck, but simply applying pressure to the dog's neck
via the leash and collar.

On 7/4/14, Daryl Marie via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Julie,
> You said:
> Could it be that this added information allows
> you to intercede before she gets herself into trouble?  Or that because you
> know corrections are not possible, you are actively seeking other ways to
> manage the situation?
>
> Perhaps both are true to a point, but she herself seems to be less inclined
> to get distracted by her favorite tree or the little kid on the bus... I
> think it's more complicated than "it's me/it's her", so perhaps a little bit
> of everything all rolled into one.
>
> A buckle collar? What's that?  Is that one that snaps in place, or one that
> buckles like a belt?  I assume the clip one could snap off if she decides to
> run for that doggie around the corner...
>
> Daryl and Jenny

Raven
"if God didn't make it, don't eat it." - John B. Symes, D.V.M.
http://dogtorj.com