[nagdu] Blind Woman Says Law Enforcement Offered No Helpto Her Dying Service Dog

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Jul 10 22:47:23 UTC 2014

There are a couple of things that I find myself pondering about this
situation.

There is this presumption that someone else, the police officer, 911, should
have done something.  Is this from social conditioning?  Where does this
idea that there should be someone always there to help us come from?   Are
all people like this, or is it more so with blind people?

Maybe the police officer should have helped.  I don't know.
Ethically/morally I think everyone in the restaurant that knew what was
going on had the equal opportunity to help.  No one did.  why is that?  Are
people that callous?  Did they not know what needed to be done?  Did they
not have the means to help?  Were any of them asked?  I think sometimes
people would help if they knew specifically what to do. Why is the police
officer singled out for retribution?  Perhaps there was a doctor, nurse, or
taxi driver in the restaurant...they were certainly in a position to help
just as much or more than the police officer.

I am kind of surprised by some of the responses also.  It is interesting to
me that the issue of a lawsuit is brought up.  Is it possible to instill
morals through legal action?  Will money make any difference in the long
run?

The other day I was walking through the living room and caught a snippet
from the TV.  Sorry I don't know who was talking or what the program or even
the topic was.  the quote jumped out though.

"With great freedom, comes great responsibility"

It's so true on so many levels.    I feel for the woman.  It had to be a
horrible, horrible situation to be in.  However I don't thinking blaming
others is going to help.

Julie