[nagdu] Acceptance of owner training was

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Fri Jul 18 17:23:08 UTC 2014

Mardi,

I tend to want my dog to be absolutely perfect, more so when I am around
other guide dogs. I was so uptight about that, I made an early problem
worse and for awhile was considering that I might not be able to fix it
and would have to retire my otherwise excellent young dog. So I've
learned to lighten up some and not let my own emotions affect my dog.
She's a poodle and super sensitive, so I had to be very zen. Now she's
an old pro, and I'm experienced, so I don't have to walk around
practicing my breathing exercises and smiling and all that so much.
/lol/ She still notices if I'm smiling or not and is perkier, but she
doesn't get a sad if I forget to paste on my happy face.

I have noticed that for an owner-trainer, the usual scrutiny the general
public puts on guide dog teams is a little magnified. You know, how some
folks will watch eagle-eyed for the dog to make a mistake... Which is
almost certainly not a mistake, but they're sure it must be. The dog
looks around before maneuvering through a tricky maze. Everybody knows
guide dogs don't look around! The dog stops at the top of the stairs
instead of heading right down. Clearly, that dog is not fit to be a
guide and is going to get the handler killed. When I blithely mention
that I was the one who trained the dog to stop at the top of the stairs
and wait until I was ready and she declared us safe to go, then that's a
sure sign of impending disaster! I will then add that the programs do it
that way, so I followed their example, I hear a doubtful silence. And so
on. Usually, I can have Mitzi do something super amazing like turning
left to guide me elsewhere to change their attitude to the exact
opposite. /lol/ After a few encounters with such folks, I did start
worrying less about public perceptions in case of a real mistake. Not
once has a critic noticed a real mistake, that I can remember. People
will perceive what they want to perceive, I guess.

In a sense, the same is true when we're working around other guide dog
teams. If one or more of those with program dogs believe owner-trainers
just can't do it right, then anything my dog does will be wrong. If she
does something that is actually a mistake, it is a huge big deal and she
is a hopeless failure. If one of the other dogs makes the same mistake,
it is just one of those things. Usually, in a short time, the critics
will see that Mitzi seems to be well-enough behaved, after all. It is
possible I haven't done too badly with her, but that's not like other
owner-trainers... Isn't that nice of them to say? The owner-trainers I
know, especially of guides, are shining examples that I can only hope to
try to emulate. So if someone is hoping for me to gush with gratitude at
their allowing as to how I don't suck like all of those others, they are
bound for disappointment. They've just insulted not only my good friends
but my heroes. And their dogs. Deep breath, smile, practice zen... /lol/

I want to be clear that the folks whose negative behavior I am
describing are a small percentage of whichever population. Most guide
dog users are accepting or willing to accept if they haven't encoutered
an owner-trained guide before. If they ask questions to clear up the
common misperceptions they've picked up, the questions are intelligent
and respectfully curious. Then we can have a nice comparing of notes and
tips and tricks, which has been a great way for me to learn to be a
better handler and to improve my dog's training. They will point out
mistakes in a helpful way and very often share stories of how they have
dealt with similar things. In other words, my guide dog is a guide dog
like theirs, and we all face the same potential pitfalls along with all
the rest. We're always learning, just like everyone else.

I still wish my dog were perfect and that I was, too. I make fun of the
guide dog myths, but deep in my heart, I seem to expect my dog to be
like those mythically perfect dogs, whether I am on the ball or not.
I've had to learn to have high expectations of her without taking leave
of reality and to remember to work towards high expectations of myself
as a handler. I'm coming out of the complacency phase of a first-time
handler... Things began to go so smoothly, I started spacing off, then
was surprised to notice my dog was off sniffing. Sigh. I hear that's not
uncommon, but I get aggravated with myself. Now I'm remembering to pay
attention again and do my job as a handler and in being guided. Amazing
how good my dog is when I'm being good. /lol/ In another couple of
years, I will find out if I've learned anything so that the early career
of my next guide is smoother. /smile/

Tami