[nagdu] Training success!!!

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 17:04:21 UTC 2014

Daryl,
Great to hear you and Jen are succeeding with positive training methods!
Once I switched from correction to redirection, it made things so much
easier and fluid for me and the Golden Guy. He's a big softy,  so
corrections actually hinder his work. Corrections would always slow
things down drastically, and lead to confusion and frustration for
both of us. It's so much simpler, time-saving, and uplifting to just
redirect behavior rather than yanking on the leash.

And I believe the collar you guys are talking about is a martingale
collar, or a half-check. I used that for a while with the Golden guy
before just getting a nylon buckle collar. However, I don't usually
pick up on his body language through the leash and collar unless I'm
walking him out of harness. When we're working, I can feel just about
everything he's doing through the harness.

On 7/25/14, Daryl Marie via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Danielle,
> Agreed, to a point. Jenn's a bit of a harder dog, but even from the time the
> trainer left, corrections became less and less effective. I got to my whit's
> end, because corrections just weren't doing anything.
> Ironically, taking this option away has improved her work.
>
> In high-distraction environments like pet stores, I use a Halti (think a
> sturdier Gentle Leader). It keeps her nose out of everything and keeps her
> focused. We do distraction training fairly regularly as well, but with so
> much stimuli like pet stores and vets it's just simpler to use the Halti.
>
> Daryl

Raven
"if God didn't make it, don't eat it." - John B. Symes, D.V.M.
http://dogtorj.com