[nagdu] Correction callers

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 17:58:26 UTC 2014

Daryl got it right. Any collar used to correct the dog via tightening
or applying pressure around the dog's neck is a correction collar.
There are choke chains, also called slip collars, which are chain
collars that tighten around the dog's neck without limitation. There
are martingale collars, which is a loop of nylon or a loop of chain
connecting 2 ends of a thick strip of nylon. This collar can only
tighten as far as the short loop of chain will pull. And it doesn't
really tighten, but applies equal pressure around the neck. The type
with a loop of chain is also called a half check, and the kind that is
completely nylon is not typically used as a correction collar. There
are also spike collars and prong collars, or pinch collars, which
apply pressure around the dog's neck , in addition to poking or
pinching the skin.
Many schools here in the US give out dogs with slip chains, though
some issue dogs with half-check collars. Some schools give you both,
but instruct students to use the choke chain as working gear. I know
that some
schools in Europe do not do this. I believe that in Western Europe,
the dogs are issued with half-check collars. And I know the guide dog
school of Sweden or any of the Scandinavian guide dog schools wouldn't
dream of using correction collars or giving out a dog with a
correction collar. I'm not sure if they issue them with buckle collars
or nylon martingales. Perhaps a Swedish graduate will contribute.

On 7/28/14, Larry D Keeler via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> The Softline Collar! Its like a cloth chain! But, it doesn't look like a
> correction collar.

Raven
"if God didn't make it, don't eat it." - John B. Symes, D.V.M.
http://dogtorj.com