[nagdu] barking and dog distraction revisited?

Craig Heaps craig.heaps at comcast.net
Tue Jun 24 15:43:34 UTC 2014

The other dog might have been looking at her in a way she read as
aggressive.  That dog might have been staring and had a body posture that
suffested it was not friendly.  That might have made Jenny feel threatened.

I have the opposite problem.  Chase is what I call "dog stupid".  He stares
at other dogs and gets them all riled up.  He doesn't seem to have that
instinct not to stare and the other dogs seem to interpret that as a
challenge.  We ran into it with a tied up pit bull downtown last week.  The
pit was calm.  Chase stopped when he saw him, and we were going to go way
around.  But the owner said the pit was "a good dog.  He won't bother you."
(I should know better than to believe things like that.)  As we passed, I
could feel Chase's head turned toward the dog, and the dog snarl and lunge
at him.  Fortunately, he was well enough secured that he didn't get to
Chase.

Craig and Chase, the dog who doesn't seem to know the rules of dog-dom