[nagdu] Noise at the corner

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Tue Jun 24 16:02:47 UTC 2014

Tracy,

I've noticed the same problem over the last few years. Part of it is
quiet or quieter cars for sure. If there's something loud, I can't count
on hearing other vehicles. The only solution I can find is to do what
you do and wait until I can be more sure. There are rarely other
pedestrians around here to ask, and I can't necessarily hear them,
either, to know there is someone to ask. So I stand there feeling kinda
frustrated and stupid, but tearing off into the street would be deadly
stupid, so there I stand. Mitzi gives me good clues, which I appreciate.
If she's not sure and can't see around whatever is making so much noise,
she will hesitate and kind of move her front end back and forth, even
before I put her in a position to refuse to go. So if she's not sure, I
am sure not sure. /smile/ She will also let me know when she thinks we
can go or if she thinks we should try another way or... Well, I don't
want to get in the habit of letting her make all street crossing
decisions, but I do listen to her for clues.

I don't know what else to tell you. It's frustrating, especially if we
are in a hurry, or even if we are not. I'm lazy enough not to want to
give up if the noise is ongoing and turn around to find another way to
get where I am going. Well, here, that can mean only a block or two, and
our blocks aren't that long. In the city, finding the go-around could
take a lot more time and energy. I would remind myself firmly that being
alive when I got to where I was going was preferable to taking chances
when I just could not tell. /shrug/

If you come up with a more satisfying solution, please share! /grin/

Tami