[nagdu] guide dog school problem

Julie J. via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Fri May 16 17:05:26 UTC 2014

The thing I find most annoying is when Monty is working perfectly and
someone asks if I'm training him or apologizes for their part in his
misperceived bad behavior.

Example...the other day...well a few weeks ago I guess, I was going down a
flight of stairs.  Monty stops at the top step and waits for my cue to
proceed.  While we are stopped he is watching the folks coming up the stairs
to make sure there is clearance and everything passes the super strict Monty
safety standards.  all of this happens in about one second, but one of the
people on the stairs apologizes for being in our way.  I responded with
something to the effect of, "your fine.  He's supposed to stop at the top of
the stairs so I can be sure to find the first step."  She made some comment
of amazement and how that was such a good idea.

It's little things like this that happen frequently that annoy me.   I'm not
sure why.  I mean why do I have this expectation that the public will know
how guide dogs work?  How are they supposed to know?  And what difference
does it make to me?

Julie