[nagdu] those comments from the public

Craig Heaps via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Fri May 16 17:55:09 UTC 2014

Sherry:

That's a funny story.  I haven't had Chase quite a year yet, but I realize
how ignorant I was about guide dogs before I began looking into getting one
and went through the training.  (Not to mention the real life experience of
having a guide dog.)

People often ask if I'm training Chase.  I think it's because I have a
little bit of useable vision and wear glasses (massively thick though they
may be).  I tried to come up with some clever response.  But I have found it
was just quicker and easier to say,  "No, I'm legally blind and he's my
guide."  I usually try to smile and say something like, "he does a great job
of keeping me safe."

Maybe it's because I'm still kind of new at this, but I enjoy the
conversations, even the ones that seem a little dumb.  Occasionally I get
the weird question.  A rough looking guy on BART one day asked, "Does he
bite?".  For a moment I thbought of Peter Sellers in the Pink Panther.  I
said, "He's trained to do what I tell him to do." and left it at that.

I have also concluded there must be a gazillion puppy raisers out there.
About five times a week (small exaggeration) someone says, "My sisters used
to raise guide dog puppies" or "I used to raise guide dog puppies for 4-H"
or "We had a career change dog.  It was the best dog we ever had."

Craig and Chase (who is still training me)