[nagdu] Lyft/Uber and Service Animal Access

Elizabeth Campbell via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Thu May 29 13:22:11 UTC 2014

Hello all,

I am a regular Uber customer and find it to be a refreshing alternative to
taking taxis. I haven't been refused a ride because of my guide. However,
one of the Uber drivers told me that the company's policy is that since
drivers are private contractors, they can refuse to take a service animal. I
told the driver that the policy wasn't acceptable. My question is companies
such as Lift and Uber don't have to follow the stricter guidelines cities
impose on cab companies. Is this the loophole that Uber and Lift are using
to get around compliance with the ADA??

Just a thought.

Liz