[nagdu] Testing my dogs wait.

Raven Tolliver via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Sat May 31 19:26:18 UTC 2014

Hi,
Needing to loosen the harness strap is not always a way to tell. It
really depends on how old your dog is. In March or April, I loosened
the Golden Guy's harness strap, not because he gained weight, but
because these dogs, or at least the large retriever breeds generally
fill out in the chest around 4 years of age. It is better to become
familiar with your dog's body, and be able to feel and tell whether
they have lost or gained some poundage.
Extra treats are fine, as long as a dog receives adequate exercise.
Exercise and nutrition go hand-in-hand when it comes to weight.
Whether it's freezing cold or scorching hot, your dog always needs a
fair amount of exercise. Exercise is more than just playing tug or
fetch, or even just working, working, working. It's running, walking,
digging, and rolling in the grass to just be a dog, blow off some
steam, and have good fun.

On 5/30/14, Kathy Davis via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> A sure way to determine if your dog has put on weight is by needing to
> loosen the harness strap. It's just like when we put on weight, we usually
> have to loosen our belt. Moreover, I find that sighted friends and
> relatives
> will make comments in a heartbeat like...."Oh Tom, Fido is getting fat."
> One
> thing is for sure, one of the very worse things we can do is to give our
> dogs extra treats. Sure they will always take that extra biscuit or
> whatever
> but they aren't necessarily hungry. Even if they are it is a good thing to
> limit treats to one or two a day. Just my take on the matter. I have never
> had an overweight dog and I do not intend to because I know my dog will
> likely become sluggish, have joint issues and probably have to be retired
> way too soon.
>
> Hope this helps. Oh yes, since I live in close proximity to Wade's vet, I
> have someone drop me by his office just to get my boy weighed every couple
> of months.
>
> Kathy Davis

Raven