[nagdu] guidedog and mobility skills

debby phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 15:51:41 UTC 2014

Hi Nicole, I think that when I got my first dog I thought that it
would make me less afraid and a better traveler.  And it did.  I
began going more places on my own, and having a dog did give me
more of a sense of confidence.  I wouldn't say that I was a great
traveler when I got my first dog.  Over the years, I improved and
because I had dogs I got out more than I had.  Then my husband
and I moved to rural Washington, and I mean rural.  I ended up
needing to go to CCB to work on my travel skills again.  Now, I'm
a much better traveler than before, but I am absolutely a better
traveler with a dog than a cane, and I went all over Denver using
my cane.  And what about those folks who first used dogs, before
there were canes? They didn't have OandM instruction.  All I'm
trying to say is that I do believe that there are people who do
quite well with dogs but are terrible cane travelers.  Don't ask
me how it works for them, but it does.  Maybe they travel in
limited routes, or whatever but as long as the dog helps them,
who am I to judge tone else?    Blessings,    Debby and Neena