[nagdu] Musicians with Guide Dogs

Rusty Perez rustys.lists at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 03:46:41 UTC 2014

Hi Rachel,
I'll add my thoughts here as well.
I'm not a classical musician, but I lead worship at church, perform in
various settings, on stages and on makeshift stages and my dog Peggy
is GREAT.
Usually, when we're on stage in front of the band she lies right down
often in front of a monitor, or near the drum set, if that's what I'm
playing, and relaxes or sleeps through it. she's used to what we do
now.
I've had her in the studio as well, but I prefer not to unless I can
take her hardware off. You can't necessarily predict or control when
they might shift or shake and the tags don't always shake in time with
the music.
If I'm recording at home I just leave her in the other room, or take
all of her stuff off. I've been known to leave her behind when I'm in
a studio some where else.

What you should also think about is the public nature of the life of a
musician. There are always adoring fans, and I don't mean yours. So
you'll need to sortof think about some ways to deal with the public.

One of the most difficult things to deal with I think is the stage.
They aren't all the same as we know, and sometimes there isn't that
much room.

Anyway, those are some thoughts.

Oh, another thought is to make sure that you can attach the dog, or
keep tabs on her. I happen to just put my foot on the leesh, or put it
around the stool or chair I'm sitting on.
My dog has been known to walk off stage to visit one of her favorite
people if I'm not careful.

Good luck!
You should get one.

rusty