[nagdu] a few concerns

Daryl Marie crazymusician at shaw.ca
Wed Nov 19 12:04:50 UTC 2014

Rachel,

Forgot to mention something else.  Invest in a Halti... it's like a Gentle Leader, but it gives you more control.  There are two straps that go over the dog's cheeks, which make it hard if not impossible for doggie to scavenge and pick up stuff off the ground.  This is definitely something you want to nip in the bud as quickly as you can.  You will likely have to either do lots of training with the Halti and phase it out slowly, or use it consistently during work time for a period of time.  I used it consistently during work time for about 2-3 weeks, then phased it out to every other trip, to once a week, to less and less.  Now I keep it in my purse for times when Jenn needs to reset (just a ten-minute walk with it on every once in a while seems to just remind her that, "oh, yeah, Daryl knows what she's talking about!")  I also use it in very high-stimulus environments like pet stores or the vet's office, just because she really likes to sniff and meet and greet, and it gives me mich more control.

I think someone else on this list has something called a Newtrix, which she swears by, but I haven't tried it myself, but it is a similar concept.

Daryl