[nagdu] Intro and Pondering a Second Guide

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Nov 20 19:22:00 UTC 2014

Hi Joe.
I just came back from TSE.  I got my now-retired dog there in 2006, though I
don't remember enough details to say the differences.  Also, this time, my
class was all retrains, so may have moved along differently than the mixed
classes.  By class, I mean my group of 4 and our instructor.
There were 7 shepherds in the whole class of 21 people, so, if that's what
you want, you've got a pretty good chance.
TSE took 2 days off the class length, and say there's less downtime.  We
worked twice a day, morning and afternoon, and a half day on Saturday, with
Sunday off.  We often had a lecture or more inside work in the evening.  For
the first couple days, we all went to the downtown training center together
and had a lecture and route.  After a couple days, they started running the
shuttle, and we only had to be in the DTC a short time before or after our
route.  There was none of the hanging out in the van that I remember from
2006.

I think the amount of explaining one has to do about the dog must vary a lot
by location.  I live in New Jersey and work in New York City, and I don't
spend much time explaining.  Maybe people around here are used to guide
dogs.  Maybe they're all minding their own business, and letting me mind
mine.  Maybe I walk around like I have all the right in the world to be
there, as I do.  I don't expect trouble, and mostly I don't get any. Or
maybe I'm just in a rut, usually going the same places, so any explaining
happened so long ago I've forgotten.  I still have taxi trouble
occasionally, but usually nothing with restaurants or shops.
HTH.
Tracy