[nagdu] petting guide dog question

Craig Heaps craig.heaps at comcast.net
Fri Nov 28 17:29:07 UTC 2014

I think you have to work backward from the ultimate goal: your safety.

The reason we ask people not to pet our dogs is because it can distract
them.  If it distracts them, they might not guide us safely.  So, someone
might say, if you're just sitting there, what difference does it make if
your dog is distracted?  Because it tells the dog it's okay to be petted
while in harness, and the dog might not differentieate between "just sitting
there" and crossing the street.

So you discourage petting so your dog gets the message that when he/she is
in harness, it's time to focus.  No seeking affectioin.  No scavenging for
food.  No sniffing the bushes.

I tell people, "Please don't pet my guide dog.  It can make him distracted.
And when he's distracted, I tend to walk into fire hydrants and parking
meters.  I've found that to be very painful."  They usually laugh and say
they understand.

That said, I sometimes let people (especially children) pet Chase.  It's the
real world and you have to use your judgment.  Just remember, it's about
your safety.

Craig and Chase, who loves to be petted
craig.heaps at comcast.net