[nagdu] Why I hate relieving on route

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 00:24:11 UTC 2014

Since my own schedule is staggered from day to day, I don't mind that
the Golden Guy relieves at different times on different days. But he
doesn't poop everyday, which is common for many naturally-reared dogs.
He usually poops every 2 or 3 days, sometimes more, sometimes less,
depending on what he eats, when he eats, and how much he eats. And all
those factors change on a daily basis. I only feed him once daily, and
he could eat anywhere from 7 AM to 2 AM; 1/2 lb daily to 3 lbs daily,
and the meal could be any kind of whole animal or body part. I have a
very relaxed approach to feeding, so I' not a stickler for specific
times and amounts. Since I don't feed at a regular time, he doesn't
poop at a regular time.
Also, I've found that sticking to some schedule is a waste of time.
I'll be standing outside for 10 minutes, and he won't do a thing. So I
don't take him outside or stop to relieve him unless he indicates he
needs to go. I mean, if he hasn't gone in 5 hours, I'll make a trip
outside, but even those are sometimes a waste. The other day, I only
took him outside 3 times, so I figured I'd better take him out for a
4th before bed. He didn't do a thing.
I keep a roll of poopbags in my treat pouch, purse, and back pack,
since I will have one of those with me at anytime. If I can't find a
trash can, I have no problem asking someone where one is located.
People around here are incredibly nice and understanding. I mean, I
have a dog, it's pretty self-explanatory.
Fortunately, the only time I ever stepped in dog poop was during a
scheduled relief time out in front of my parents' house, back when I
first got the Golden Guy and missed a piece of poop in the grass.
The world is definitely set up for off schedule pooping. It's just a
matter of how inconvenient it is for the handler. Personally, it would
be inconvenient for me to have a set feeding and pooping schedule for
my dog since I literally have a different schedule all 7 days of the
week.