[nagdu] just when you think you've heard it all

Larry D Keeler lkeeler at comcast.net
Mon Oct 20 13:39:34 UTC 2014

Well, experimental implies to me that someone is trying something out just
to see how and if it works. In that aspect, life gives us situations where
some things work in some situations and not others. There are some things
you can do better with a cane and some that are better done with a dog.
Sometimes, niether is really good. This also comes up with collapsible
canes, and other technology such as laser technology where sound bounces off
things so that you can hear where they are. In the mid 70's at Michigan
School for the Blind, we were exposed to every kind of tech that came out!
Canes with lasers in the end, boxes you wore on your chest that projected
light or sound so that it could be used and many more! Interestingly, we
never got to experience dog travel! Even though Leader Dogs was about an
hour and a half from the school! I don't even remember a representative
coming to talk to us as students! Guide dogs were a mystery to me! I didn't
decide to start using one until I was 45 years old! Not because my mobility
is failing or because my ears are going but, because i've observed other
guide dog teams and saw what things they could accomplish. I'd had pet dogs
before some not so good but most great and loyal pets. The decission to get
a dog had nothing to do with being tired of my cane or anything. I often use
my cane instead of Holly but not always. On occassion, I have used both! For
example to follow the side walk when I was not sure of what sidewalk I
needed. Yes, I also have a folding cane and another cane I often use in the
winter that's less sensative but a lot more sturdy for polking threw snow
and sometimes leaning on. No, I found little use in all of those electronic
guuadgets.. They were fun to use briefly but not really helpfule in the long
run.