[nagdu] process of getting a guide dog from leader dog

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 02:42:50 UTC 2015

I am glad that I have graduated from my school and have been
getting dogs from there for a long time.  Life changes, and
sometimes life changes in a matter of weeks.  I am working now,
but in the fall sometime, I will be laid off.  When that happens,
Nova and I will have a totally different routine.  Perhaps one
day we will walk in the morning, sometimes in the afternoon.  So
much will depend on what's happening each day, and the weather,
and other things.  I think Nova can handle the varied routine,
but I know that there are other dogs that would be driven crazy
by that.  So I think 1.  schools need to be a little less rigid,
and 2.  people need to be honest about what they will be doing
and all.  If you don't do a lot of "big city" stuff, like subways
and all, then don't pretend you do.  You'll get the wrong dog,
and both of you will be miserable.  Same thing: don't pretend
you're a great hiker and love the country if you can't stand it.
I know that people have done that.  The schools aren't impressed,
and they'd rather you be honest then pretend you're "super
blind".  Okay, I'm off my soapbox now.  (Grin).    Debby